Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Verbatim.

Posted by: Kim

The quote that sparked a 2-hour discussion on evolution and somehow not as much wild feminist flailing as you might imagine (though there was some):

Kim's Girl Roommate (in response to Kim's Boy Roommate's declaration that he believes all humans are genetically "wired" with the desire to reproduce and have been since the dawn of man, and that a quenching of this desire comes from simple suppression or an abnormality in a person's genetic makeup): "So you're saying that you think anyone who doesn't want kids is either crazy or lying to him/herself?"

Kim's Boy Roommate: "No."

Kim: "Um, you pretty much did, though."

KBR: "Okay, fine, yes."

K&KGR: "YES?!"

Apparently this can be justified by the theory of Natural Selection, and despite the whole word 'theory' thing being in there, it is indisputable. I even went so far as to suggest that, if we are basing our argument on evolution, than it should actually be quite natural for humans to begin to cease to want to reproduce, seeing as it tends to harm more than help and in our advanced age offspring are no longer vital to our survival - and he still refused to concede.

Tick, tock, biological clock? Obviously I disagree. Not because I don't have the desire to reproduce (I'm on the fence, here at age 26, though it's an especially interesting fence in that it's the "I haven't decided if I want kids" fence; meanwhile, I have definitely decided it's not big enough for a baby to come out of, so, really, what am I still deciding here?). But I've just always been a mind over matter person. It does make you think, though, about how freaking crazy the human body is, and I have to wonder ... how much do we think we know that we actually have no control over? Are we just of the assumption we're calling all the shots? If we trade fate/destiny/any and all higher powers for science and evolution, are we still just as predetermined and laughably powerless in the world despite our arrogance as the human race?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

P.S. I am not drunk.
P.P.S. Or high.
P.P.P.S. I will return to my regularly scheduled flailing over Gossip Girl next post.
P.P.P.P.S. Someone explain P.S. to me again?

No comments: