Monday, September 22, 2008

Dresses!

Posted by: Kim

The Emmy Awards were last night. I didn't watch, for a multitude of reasons, including: 1.) I was watching the Yankees game (wtf?); 2.) Um, well, I only watch Gossip Girl and no one was nominated, not even Chuck Bass!; 3.) I'd probably rather spork my eye out than sit through a parade of celebrities thanking god and their mom and using the moment as a platform to spew their political views all over me (I mean, I know I spew my political views all over this blog sometimes, but, not when a simple thank-you post would suffice). But I do love the Day After Awards Shows Fashion Roundup, and so, my thoughts:


The Winners!

Debra Messing in Monique Lhuillier. Classic black but the opposite of boring.

I didn't know who Evangeline Lilly was, but Google told me I should as she is on the (Allegedly) Greatest Show I Never Wound Up Being Into, Lost. Anyway, this dress is awesome and so I love her.

So I'm predictable. I'll never be able to lay off the ball gowns, but I'm pretty sure I can think of worse things to have a weakness for. Nicollette Sheridan's royal purple is gorgeous.

Olivia Wilde looks. Like. Juliet! This is so pretty and feminine and I WANT it.

Vanessa Williams has a LOT of trends going on at once with this dress, and she's rocking them all. It'd be tough to pull off, but it's awesome.

The consensus of the style snobs seems to be very positive for Sandra Oh in Oscar de la Renta, and I'm not dissenting. She takes a lot of risks with fashion, and this time it definitely worked.

Christina Applegate, working a tough color, tough pattern, tough sillouhette, AND a train. She'd get points for just pulling it off in my book, but it's also really pretty.

The B-for-Efforts!

So, after all the buzz about Lauren Conrad designing her own gown as well as the one for the Miss Emmy or whatever, this is what she comes up with? It's ... pretty. It's very pretty, actually, and I would totally wear it and love it. The color is fantastic. She looks beautiful, but, she kind of is beautiful, so. I don't know. I can't knock anything about it, but. Meh. I guess I expected more.

Heidi Klum is stunning and very sparkly, but, well. Draping is a trend I approve of, but, this goes a little far. I mean, does the top part detach for a less cumbersome look or what?

America went for vintage and I want to love it. I should love it. Everything about it screams, "Kim, you love this!" But there's something I don't love. I think it might be the length. I feel like, as a short girl, America probably altered this to that length so that it didn't eat her, but, it still kind of does. Maybe another three to five inches up and I'd love it? I do think her shoes are pretty great, though. And her red lipstick.

The Losers!


Uh. I mean, Kate Walsh has got a rockin' bod and all , but, wtf is this? The gargantuan rosette on the boobs? The alternately shimmery tiers? I feel like Express made tank tops that looked like this a few seasons ago, and I didn't like them then either.

Oh, man, Marcia Cross. I like girly things, like pink and lace and flowers and ballet. But. Wow. No. Just no. Not at all. I'm hot and cold for Elie Saab in the first place, and this is just a miss for me altogether.


Sigh, I would really like to like this. The stark, heavy patterned white-with-black look is difficult. When it's done well there's something awesome, almost retro about it, and very clean. When it's (more often than not) done poorly, it looks cheap/garish. This comes so close, with the flirty, a-line sillouhette and the chic litle belt, but, ruining Lisa Edelstein's (I used to <3 style="font-style: italic;"> House, btw, Lisa!) decent attempt is the crappy black tulle peeking out, turning this from maybe-nice to maybe-from-Rave/Wet Seal/Delia's. The orthopedic-y looking platform shoes aren't helping either. Oops.

Sure, Kathy. Dressing up like a wedding gift the drunk MOH barfed all over will be lovely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the way you act like you have some sort of fashion sense that is good. Of COURSE you like the horrible purple ball gown dress and the ugly thing on Vanessa Williams. No TASTE. Stop trying. Ayone with eyes can see that the best dress you put on there is the black and white one and yoyu put it in the LOSERS! column.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anon, I totally agree with you on the purple ballgown and the awful monstrosity on Vanessa W. You can't say Kim has no taste because liking something is objective. You also completely discredited yourself by saying that the black and white was the best -- just because you wore something similar to your Kapa Kapa Phi semi-formal does not make it high fashion. Fail. xoxo, Jen

Anonymous said...

Wait wait wait.
I'm all for dissenting opinions of fashion. Jen and I hate each other's clothes all the time. Okay not really. But you know.
But you justified your inexplicably angry point by picking on me for putting that black and white thing in the losers' column? FOR REAL? I can understand ball gown hate. But love for that?

Good call on the Kappa Kappa whatever Jen. I had her pegged as an 'edgy, unique individual' who loves such rare things as Doc Martens and wrist tattoos, but, 18-year-old fan of the discount bin at Tello's works too.

Love, Kim