Sunday, September 21, 2008

Closing The Door To House That Ruth Built

Posted by: Kim

So, I'm watching the Yankees game. Because it's the last game ever in THE Yankee Stadium (I'll refrain from pointing out all the way, meaning, out of parentheses, the last time it was torn down, in 1974, but, tomato, to-mah-to, I suppose, as it's not going back up again this time, and everyone needs a facelift now and then), or because if the Yanks lose tonight the Sox clinch their playoff spot? You decide.

But it is a little weird and moving, I'll admit, from a historical perspective if not a personal one. Yogi Berra's got me all emotional. I'm flashing back to all those times I watched the Yanks play the Jays/Orioles/Twins/etc. and feared for my life as the Bleacher Creatures spilled beer in my hair while chanting about Boston sucking, as if they'd somehow be able to look beyond my non-incriminating attire and read my mind to learn the truth, and, you know, I'm vaguely nostalgic. I do love New York, after all. And I do hope Johnny Damon doesn't walk away with the final home run hit inside that stadium, not for any obnoxious Red Sox Nation Cowboy Up craptastic reason or anything, but just, because, I mean. Come on. It should be Derek Jeter. Shouldn't it? I'm too romantic.

Go Sox!

Update: Bottom 4th - 2-run HR, Molina. And Damon's swinging for the fences again. Let's go Derek. Come on. Take it. I mean it. No, really.

No comments: