Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Pre-Endorsement Retraction.

Posted by: Kim

Woe. I was all set to talk about how great my new favorite lip gloss is (and this is not said lightly, as I love lip gloss), when tragedy struck circa 10 minutes ago.


I first tried this L'Oreal Colour Juice (in "Raspberry Smash", which is the shade appearing above and to me looks more cherry than raspberry but I digress) last fall, on a whim, while I was en route to a party and had decided I needed, right then, to change my lip shade from ruby to cherry red, and hit up CVS. I'm usually kind of picky with lip gloss, because I don't like it to feel too sticky/rub off on my clothes or other people/gunk all up over my teeth/etc., so, to the dismay of some, I'm usually willing to shell out for it. But since there was no Sephora or even MAC (yes, I prefer Sephora) around during my need to change shades, I just tried my luck, and figured $8.49 sounded safe but also low enough that if I hated it I wouldn't need to throw fits.
I don't really remember much about my initial experience, just that I used up all the gloss without much fanfare and then the holidays came and my stock of reds (and pinks and nudes, etc) was replenished for a while.
Cut to last weekend, when I again found myself missing a cherry red to suit my needs, and recalled the Color Juice. I remembered it hadn't been as shocking as bright reds sometimes can be, which was nice, and that it smelled nice and was light in texture. So I decided to try it again, and happily wore it around all weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it and decided it would be my new go-to and that I would buy it in every color except wine-hued ones because those look bad on my face.
That was four days ago.
Today, this happened.
SCENE: Kim and her co-worker Amy flee the office to marvel at the 50-degree weather and drink iced coffee. Afterwords, as girl co-workers will sometimes insist upon doing, they begin acting like girls and reapplying the lipstick they drank off with their coffee. Kim digs out the clear gloss she was wearing and then realizes that with her all-black outfit, she should provide a POP of color! And then she remembers her new Raspberry Smash Color Juice! But ...
Kim: "Um ... wait. Am I confused or ..."
Amy: (picking up the scent from a good four feet away) "WOW! Is your lip gloss rotten? That is rancid! Ew! Wow. That's really bad. Your berries rotted."
Kim: *Sees red*
Do not endorse.
I will however give the benefit of the doubt and say maybe CVS stocked a shelf with some expired product (lip gloss expires, right?) and perhaps the product itself is not usually ROTTEN.
But I still won't buy it again.
And now I have no pop of color today. Grr.

1 comment: