Monday, August 18, 2008

Shalane Flanagan Is My Hero

Posted by: Jen


So I was in London and the Womens' 10k was live on the BBC. What. A. Race. I'm sure all of the UK could hear me screeching at the TV but I just couldn't help it! The woman who got gold, Tirunesh Dibaba of Ethiopia, set an Olympic record and ran the second fastest 10k ever run (short of the world record, run by cheater-pants Wang Junxia in 1993 -- hey IAAF why haven't you taken down that record yet?!)! The woman who got silver, Elvan Abeylegesse, put in a GREAT race but just couldn't hang with Dibaba when she went by her in the final lap (I don't think I could run ONE lap as fast as she ran lap 25, just saying). Seriously people, one hundred meters shmun drundred shmeters, this was a race and it was exciting and amazing and fun to watch and should not be interrupted by showing one M. Phelps AGAIN.

Anyway, but the star of the show for me at least was Shalane. She ran the smartest race, and watching her finish with her mom cheering her on in the stands made me cry a little. I mean, she just looked so happy when she finished it was really great to see someone who has run so well in the NCAA and on the national level finally make it big on the world level. I am a fan. And I hope she kicks more butt in the 5k tomorrow (or tonight, if you are in NYC like me and 12 hours behind China, and oooh man, would I stay up to watch the qualifier if I weren't so jet lagged). I rarely get all "America the beautiful" around here, but, um... USA USA USA! Right.

No comments: