Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bet You Didn't Know I Graduated With An Economics Minor.

Posted by: Kim

I'm having one of THOSE days (I know, I know, cut to our vast readership rolling their eyes and noting that I seem to forever be having one of THOSE days) and decided I would drink my lunch again -- as in coffee, not booze. I mean, that was Tuesday, come on.

So I went to Starbucks cause it's REALLY one of those days, -- let's talk about how it's still not Friday? And I went all out with the triple-grande nonfat mocha no whip and changed my mind between hot and iced approximately nine times before settling (iced) and then at the last minute requested a fourth espresso shot thrown in there, which raised the alarm of the dude behind me in line. I silenced him with a glare (it may have been the lime green cardigan as well) and a, "dude, one of THOSE DAYS, okay?!'

The barista, on the other hand, was all understanding and then I was all, 'Thanks, I don't need a receipt' but she was like, 'OMG NO TAKE IT! See, read it: If you come back today after 2 you can get any iced beverage you want for $2. Think about all the espresso shots you could get for free!' This girl was cool.

Now I'm busy pretending I was ever good with numbers and trying to decide if I win or lose in this situation. I mean, obviously Starbucks wins or they wouldn't be doing it, and obviously they win anyway, since they charge an average of $4 for something that costs maybe $0.03 to produce, and that's IF we're talking fancy schmancy extra shots and syrups and soy and shit. Otherwise, hm, probably less. It's coffee. Also, they're getting customers to purchase twice in a day.

But anyway, back to me: Do I win? In theory, yes... ish. When I go to Starbucks, which is not that often out of a loyalty to DD and a tendency to drink black coffee and expect to pay far less than what Sbux feels like charging for it, I order big, as described. I mean, if you're busting out the $5-spot for your caffeine, it might as well be layered (macchiato, right?) or have some chocolate in it or SOMETHING. So, yeah. My standard grande iced beverage tends to run me close to $5 by the time I'm done adding espresso shots and making the nice baristas remove the whipped cream I said I didn't want but they refused to believe me about (this happens to me! all! the! time!), so, yes, getting one for $2 is a steal, Starbucksianly-speaking.

However, obviously I already bought one, so the total of the one I bought plus the $2 version, we can round to $6. And then we call them each $3. So, yes, I made out, even if it was for $1 more than the 'deal.' But I still will have spent $6 as opposed to $4, and I have coffee at home, so again? Worth it? Perhaps not technically. A loss? I'm going with no, but then again, it's one of THOSE days, and I love coffee.

Alas, Game, Set, Match: Starbucks, because I'm totally going to do it.
Also, this might be a national thing. I have no idea. You should probably all go.
Wow, marketing is EFFECTIVE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being lactose intolerant especially sucks at Starbucks, because I'm all, "Well, at least I can gouge them right back by pouring out half my coffee and filling it back up with milk!" But no, no, I can't. At least not without ruining the rest of my day. And then I'm like, "I'll just steal their soymilk instead!" But no, they charge me for it.

Anonymous said...

It's a national promotion. And if you buy a small coffee for $1.79 or whatever in the morning, you can still get your $5+ drink for $2 in the afternoon. I'm pretty sure if you buy a bagel, you still get to use the $2 thing. It's effective marketing, if nothing else.

Kim & Jen said...

RE: Anonymous --

A bagel? People buy FOOD at Starbucks?! ... Why?

I assumed whatever I bought I would have received the same promotion; I didn't know going in, though, so I wasn't able to use a technique such as buying a regular coffee for a lesser price ... that would have made me win harder, sure.

-Kim