Monday, December 8, 2008

Life Altering Realization Of The Day:

Posted by: Jen

So today, for the first time in my life, I found out that Candlepin Bowling is not a nationwide sensation (or a lame gym class field trip when you were 8) but rather indigenous to New England. So imagine my surprise when asking my friend Chris (also featured below in my traumatic hair emergency post -- Kim is having G Chat issues today and isn't available) the totally normal "Big balls or little balls" question and getting this answer:

Chris: i bowled a 170 too, i haven't bowled that high in forever.
Jennifer: is it big or little balls?
Chris: huh? bowling balls
they are all the same size
Jennifer: no
candlepin ones are smaller
Chris: "candlepin"? wtf?
Jennifer: for real!
Chris: are you being foreign on me? dont do that.
bowling balls
regular balls
oh ok, so I am a Canadian freak apparently.
Chris: i've never seen that ever in my life
Jennifer: oh, well that was the only kind of bowling I did until college
Chris: wow
Jennifer: and then I was like "Oooh big balls! Like on The Simpsons!"
Chris: weird do they even have that in new york?
Jennifer: this is hilarious, I thought everyone had it
Chris: yeah ive never even heard of it
Jennifer: "Candlepin bowling is a variation of bowling that is played primarily in the Canadian Maritime provinces and in the New England states of Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire." says Wikipedia!

Mind blown. I am sorry that the children of the world have never gotten to participate in such a great sport. In fact, it makes me actually appreciate big ball bowling more just because Candlepin is so fucking hard. Going from Candlepin to big ball bowling (I will never call it "Stadium" or "10 Pin") is like not wearing shoes your whole life and walking on gravel and then suddenly being handed a pair of Chanel flats! You people have no idea how hard I had it with those tiny balls and wooden pins.

1 comment:

Kim & Jen said...

Really? Wow. Who knew we par ... took ... in such an elitist sport.

Also, candlepin is really fucking hard. I must say I am pretty great with the big balls, and I owe it all to being raised on small ones.

Oh, god.

--Kim